FROM KATRINA: I love to join! Don’t get me wrong, I don’t walk into the playroom and think, I really hope this guy doesn’t want to play today so I can just join him. However, I do love my opportunities to join just as much as love my opportunities to play. Here are a few reasons why I love to join. Hopefully they will be helpful to you and inspire you to love joining as much as I do.
- Joining gives me an opportunity to put my agenda on the shelf and just have fun being in the moment doing what someone else wants to do.
- Joining is the ultimate acceptance, it is the easiest way for me to say “I love you exactly as you are!”
- Joining presents me with new experiences and new ways of looking at life/objects that I hadn’t thought of before.
- Joining teaches me about the child’s interests and sensory needs.
- I can build more trust and connection by having fun playing someone else’s games (e.g. their isms)
The list can go on and on. Joining is a wonderful experience for me, and I find myself doing it with typical people sometimes as well. I find it is a natural way of bonding now. If you have more reasons to join, please add those as well in the comment section. Let’s help everyone love joining!!!!
Love to you all,